So the countdown begins! Thanksgiving in T minus 5 days.
Looking forward to stuffing your face for hours on end with Thanksgiving cuisine? You bet.
But then sitting around uncomfortable for hours afterward regretting that last bite of pecan pie? Probably not.
No fear, CHOWIDO is here! I think I may be able to help you out a bit, so we can both get through the holidays, healthy, happy and without an extra pound!
I’ve come up with 5 Tips for a Healthy Thanksgiving:
- Lose the extra creams and butters. They simply are not necessary. Instead, get your flavors from natural oils and herbs for dinner dishes and other wholesome, natural ingredients (fruits, veggies, nuts, spices) for desserts.
- Scrap the gravy. Gravy is made of flour, water and leftover turkey grease, so basically a heart attack in a ladle.
- Minimize or cut out cheese. It just adds extra fat.
- Add in extra veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds when you can!
- Incorporate exercise. Give your body a break from the sedentary holiday lifestyle. Curve ball.
And WAMO, there’s your recipe for a feel-good holiday.
Take it upon yourself to veer away from the traditional, fattening holiday food and start new, healthier Thanksgiving traditions for you and your family. I promise you, you will be so happy you did.
Here are some healthy (mostly vegan) Thanksgiving recipes to give you some ideas and get ya thinkin’. Although the recipes don’t have to be vegan to be healthy, you can almost always count on vegan foods to be filled with nutrition. 🙂
- Rotisserie Turkey (rubbed w/ olive oil, herbs & spices)
- Garlic mashed potatoes (mash w/ non-dairy or non-fat milk & whatever spices you like)
- Stuffing (no butter or refined flour (no white bread)
- White and green beans
- Steamed garlic broccoli (no butter or cheese please!)
- Sweet potato wedges
- Pomegranate-mint relish
- Pumpkin chocolate fudge bites
- Raw apple pie
- Carrot cake bars
All delicious, all healthy. Sounds like a good deal to me. What do ya think?
Staying on track during Thanksgiving isn’t as hard as it may seem. You got this, people.
Stay tuned for some yummy vegan treats this upcoming week!
See ya soon my chowido-ers! Chow.